How do you add comments/tooltips to custom classes?

UncleRonin

Programming Experience
5-10
Right, you know when you're working and you use .Complete to bring up properties and methods... for pretty much all controls, etc. the tooltip pops up and underneath the method and its parameters is a short description on what the method does and what the parameters are, etc. How do you add those to your own custom classes? I'm designing a class for other people to use and want to add my own descriptions/comments/tooltips to make life easier for them so they don't have to refer back and forth to the custom class. Is it possible or is it a .NET only trait?

UncleRonin, write three single quotes (scratched:hyphens) ''' before the class/method/property and the standard comment structure is auto-inserted. Just fill in the text in the fields and watch them display from intellisense when you use the objects. This is a welcomed addition in VS2005 editor.

:EDIT: As TechGnome pointed out, they are not called "hyphens", but apostrophes or single quotes, anyway write: '''

Last edited:
Just for clarification for others.... it's three tick marks ''' that does the trick - not hyphens which are this: --- That won't get you the short cut. Has to be tick marks.

And that's in VB.NET 2005.... I'm not sure what the equivelent is in C#.

-tg

Back