help using MySqlConnector 6.3.4 and connection with vb2010

securonic

Programming Experience
Beginner
hi everyone,

Notice no posts have been put through this topic for a while...

ok, In my attempt at learning about database connectivity with VB i have come against a few problems using visual studio2010. it would seem it is mostly geared toward using microsoft's own form of sql server which appears to carry somewhat of a license tag when implemented on remote servers. i have been trying to search for a free mssql server on the net and it would seem nothing is available for free for that reason. i only wish to use the database for educational purpose so begrudge paying out a monthly sum for the privilege of 'having a go'. this as you would assume has led me to the free mysql which appears to be offered for free from many hosting services.

I have installed the mysql connector.net 6.3.4 which appears to be the up to date connector which intergates with vb2010 and checked to make sure they are referenced in the project but i seem to be getting error messages when trying to use the object classes associated.

Imports MySql.Data.MySqlClient

Using connection As New MySqlConnection("Server=server name;Database=dbname;User Id=username;Password=****")
Try
connection.Open()
MsgBox("connection established")
Catch
MsgBox("failed to connect")

End Try

End Using
End Sub

'MySqlConnection' is showing up as ambiguous in the mysql namespace. not a clue what that means so if anyone has any experience connecting to mysql using the new mysql connector, your help would be great.

Regards

Back