Getting currently set download path from all current web browsers.

NJDubois

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am downloading audio files from 3 to 4 different source webpages. Each webpage works and handles differently so certain source sites work well in IE, while this one will work well in Firefox...and so on.

I need to convert these files if they are not already mp3, rename it, do an ftp upload to a server, link in mysql database, copy new file to a local dropbox folder for back up, and delete the original file. All of this is done and working, but it requires the user to set the current download path.

It would be better for me, if I could access each browsers settings from code, and read their download path than it would be for my clients to have to setup their browsers download path, or setup the programs information to know where the current download path is.

Currently, we are using IE, Firefox, and Chrome. I also believe that this is going to require looking at the users system registry.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there any warnings, or potential problems I may run into? Am I correct in thinking the registry will be the smoothest path to the information I need?

Thank you so much!

Nick

Back