GDI+ Question

Weber

Programming Experience
5-10
Hey there,
Very new to VB.NET and was curious how does GDI+ compare to the API's Bitblt function. Would i be able to create a graphically simple game with GDI+?? Also is there a way to draw images with a transparent color? Thanks for the help.

Jordan Weber
www.pheonixsoftware.com

1.GDI+ is much better
2.You would be able to create even complex games.
3.You draw them like ordinary images, but if you draw them on the form or a panel, you get into trouble when moving the form.

I'm wondering why you would get into trouble when moving the form after painting transparent images? Care to explain?

To answer the question about ways to draw the transparent image: the Bitmap class includes a method named MakeTransparent which allows you to make a certain color of the Bitmap transparent. Then you would use the System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage method to draw that Bitmap.

Wow, just realized how old the original post is.

From what I've heard, GDI+ can be very slow if you're making a game that uses a lot of graphics, like an RPG. I've seen/played game that used bitblt and it was flawless (it was a Mario Volleyball game). Ran prefectly smooth, looked exactly like it would look if Nintendo made it. So isn't bitblt better for performance?

Back