GAC Issues

Moorzee

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi

I'm developing a system in VS.NET 2005. There is myself and 1 other developer. I have referenced various COM components such as MS EXCEL + WORD. All is fine and I can run the app nice and easy. However when I checked my code in that makes calls on these components my colleague gets issues about dll's not existing in locations etc..

When I check the location of MS.Office.Core for example I see it's path as "C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC\Office\11.0.0.0__71e9bce111e9429c\Office.dll" why does this not show on my colleagues?

Please help as I have had to knock all code out to these references to enable him to work on the app.

First check all the referenced assemblies and ensure they are being built. Once you are sure it is not a configuation problem...

We are going to copy the files right out the GAC on one computer and copy them into the GAC on the other PC

Run 'RegEdit'

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft

Click the Fusion folder and add a new DWORD called..

DisableCacheViewer

Give it a value of 1

You can now open the GAC folder like any other. Find the folder you need and copy it to the other machine. See if that works. If it does then chances are that machine's files have been corrupted somehow and a re-installation maybe necessary.

Back