Foreign key updating as -1

posix32

Programming Experience
1-3
I am having a problem and I'm pretty sure it is me missing something somewhere.

I have set up a project in VS2008 and for most of the application I am using the Windows controls and their default behaviour. However, I have started programming in some functionality for the combo boxes that link to other tables. I set this up using the VS ComboBox Tasks.

What I am trying to do is let people type a client name into a client combobox. If that entry is not in the combobox, then a message box will ask the user whether this should be saved to the database. This uses the Comboboxes Leave event. However, when I save the record, close the program and open it up again, I get an error message saying System.ArgumentException: DataGridViewComboBoxCell value is not valid.

On further examination of the table with the foreign key, I notice that this has been stored as a -1. The code for this functionality is as follows:

VB.NET:
Private Sub ClientComboBox_Leave(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ClientComboBox.Leave

Dim con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
        Dim dsClients As New DataSet
        Dim cmdClients As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
        Dim strQryClients As String = "SELECT ID, ClientName FROM Clients ORDER BY ClientName ASC"
        Dim strDataSource As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Ace.OLEDB.12.0;" & _
                                        "Data Source=C:\Documents and Settings\bowringj\Desktop\Bid Status.accdb"
        Dim strClientSelection As String
        Dim intClientRecordCounter As Integer
        Dim boolClientFound As Boolean
        'Dim cbClients As New OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder(cmdClients)
        Dim dsNewRow As DataRow

strClientSelection = ClientComboBox.Text
        boolClientFound = False

con.ConnectionString = strDataSource

Try

con.Open()

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox("An error occurred while trying to connect to the database." & vbCrLf & _
                   "You will not be able to use the update functionality from the Client Combo Box.", _
                    MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Database Connection Error")

End Try

Try

cmdClients = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(strQryClients, con)
            cmdClients.Fill(ClientsDataSet, "Clients")
            Dim cbClients As New OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder(cmdClients)

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox("An error occurred while trying to retrieve data from the database." & vbCrLf & _
                   "You will not be able to use the update functionality from the Client Combo Box.", _
                    MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Data Retrieval Error")

Finally

con.Close()

End Try

For intClientRecordCounter = 0 To ClientsDataSet.Tables("Clients").Rows.Count - 1

If ClientsDataSet.Tables("Clients").Rows(intClientRecordCounter).Item(1) = strClientSelection Then

boolClientFound = True
                Exit For

End If

Next intClientRecordCounter

If Not boolClientFound Then

If MessageBox.Show("The client entered does not appear in the list." & vbCrLf & _
                                "Do you want to add this client?", _
                                "Add Client", _
                                MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, _
                                MessageBoxIcon.Question) = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.Yes Then

Try

dsNewRow = ClientsDataSet.Tables("Clients").NewRow()
                    dsNewRow.Item("ClientName") = strClientSelection

ClientsDataSet.Tables("Clients").Rows.Add(dsNewRow)
                    cmdClients.Update(ClientsDataSet, "Clients")

ClientsBindingSource.ResetBindings(False)

ClientComboBox.Refresh()

MsgBox("The Client has been added to the database.", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Client Added")

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox("There was a problem adding the new client to the database.", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation, "Client Adding Error")

End Try

End If

End If

End Sub

If anyone could get me over this stumbling block, then I would be eternally grateful!!! :D

At what point do you calculate the new ID for the client? I'd expect it to be in the INSERT sql or close to it in the db, not the client side code

The ID is an Access auto increment field. Working through this I have just assumed that both the ClientName, which is string and the ID field would update to the combo box.

I am assuming that as far as that Clients table is concerned, this gets updated with:

So I was hoping that when I did a refresh like:

ClientsBindingSource.ResetBindings(False)
ClientComboBox.Refresh()

This would update the combobox with the new ID and ClientName. However, it appears that although the client table has been updated sucessfully, the combobox hasn't and only get the displaymember of <newstring>. However, the valuemember is -1.

So I am just trying to guess where abouts I would pull the correct data from the clients table rather than just assigning to the displaymember.

Thank you for you quick response cjard.

Please help me. All I want to do is enter text into a combo box and if it is not in the list then update the database. I have been able to do this, but the ID returned is always -1 and I can not work out how to retrieve the correct id number.

Please help. I am working on a project at work and I have to demo the application tomorrow and I am already a week behind because of this problem.

Found the Answer

For anyone who comes across this problem I found an answer. It may not be the best way of achieving the desired results, but it worked for me. The code is as follows:

VB.NET:
Private Sub ClientComboBox_Leave(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ClientComboBox.Leave

Dim con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
        Dim dsClients As New DataSet
        Dim cmdClients As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter

Dim strQryClients As String = "SELECT ID, ClientName FROM Clients ORDER BY ClientName ASC"

Dim strClientSelection As String
        Dim intClientRecordCounter As Integer
        Dim boolClientFound As Boolean
        Dim dsNewRow As DataRow

strClientSelection = ClientComboBox.Text
        boolClientFound = False

con.ConnectionString = strDataSource

Try

con.Open()

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox("An error occurred while trying to connect to the database." & vbCrLf & _
                    MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Database Connection Error")

End Try

Try

cmdClients = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(strQryClients, con)
            Dim cbClients As New OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder(cmdClients)

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox("An error occurred while trying to retrieve data from the database." & vbCrLf & _
                    MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Data Retrieval Error")

Finally

con.Close()

End Try

For intClientRecordCounter = 0 To ClientsDataSet.Tables("Clients").Rows.Count - 1

If ClientsDataSet.Tables("Clients").Rows(intClientRecordCounter).Item(1) = strClientSelection Then

boolClientFound = True
                Exit For

End If

If Not boolClientFound Then

If MessageBox.Show("The client entered does not appear in the list." & vbCrLf & _
                                "Do you want to add this client?", _
                                "Add Client", _
                                MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, _
                                MessageBoxIcon.Question) = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.Yes Then

Try

dsNewRow = ClientsDataSet.Tables("Clients").NewRow()
                    dsNewRow.Item("ClientName") = strClientSelection

ClientsDataSet.Tables(0).Rows.Clear()

For intClientRecordCounter = 0 To ClientsDataSet.Tables(0).Rows.Count - 1

If ClientsDataSet.Tables(0).Rows(intClientRecordCounter).Item(1) = strClientSelection Then

ClientComboBox.SelectedValue = ClientsDataSet.Tables(0).Rows(intClientRecordCounter).Item(0)
                            Exit For

End If

MsgBox("The Client has been added to the database.", MsgBoxStyle.Information, "Client Added")

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox("There was a problem adding the new client to the database.", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation, "Client Adding Error")

Finally

cmdClients.Dispose()
                    cmdClients = Nothing

End Try

End If

End If

End Sub

Back