Find a color

bunze

Programming Experience
1-3
Is there a way to find a color on the screen, like blue 255? I want to find the x,y location of it.

I've seen it in another program. It "scans"the screen for a certain color like 255 blue and gets it's xy. In the end,I want tomove the mouse/cursor the the pixel where the color is.I could move the cursor If I can find the xy.

Last edited:
I was thinking something like this, but theres prolly an easier way:

dim cp as point
For Each cp In Screen.primaryscreen.something :(
if color of cp = blue then
move mouse
end if
Next cp

Now, I know scanning the whole screen would take a while, So I'd add something to only scan like, 30 pixels on both sides on the cursor, and above and below it too.

Last edited:
"This is how i'd do it. Get the window handle of your screen, create rgb variables (if you're using a dialog, nicer that way) and use GetPixel."

Someone said...

I forgot to say, I dont want to scan the entire screen, just inside one program. Not my program, It is another program named 3xen.exe. I guess I need to find the window handle and then how would I search for a pixel color directly inside of the 3xen program?

Man, what are you doing here ... talking with yourself? What a shame for us. Ok, can you give me an idea how this app will work. What is the purpose? Forget all these stuff about dialog, getPixel etc. Try to explain about the app but this time more generally if you know what i mean.

Regards ;)

I quoted what someone said, I was not talking with myself.

Someone said to get the handle of the program 3xer.exe and then create rgb variables (if you're using a dialog, nicer that way) and use GetPixel.

I want to scan the program for a red pixel (well a color I specify) and move the mouse to it. I know scanning the whole program would take a while so I would set it to scan an area of 40 pixels by 40 pixels in the middle of the screen.

got to http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/ and you will see a link to autoitx. This is an activex object you can use. it has method to do just what you want to do.

from the autoit ref manual:

PixelSearch
Searches a rectangle of pixels for the pixel color provided.

PixelSearch left, top, right, bottom, color [, shade-variation] [, step]]

Parameters

leftleft coordinate of rectangle.toptop coordinate of rectangle.rightright coordinate of rectangle.bottombottom coordinate of rectangle.colourColour value of pixel to find (in decimal or hex).shade-variation[optional] A number between 0 and 255 to indicate the allowed number of shades of variation of the red, green, and blue components of the colour. Default is 0 (exact match).step[optional] Instead of searching each pixel use a value larger than 1 to skip pixels (for speed). E.g. A value of 2 will only check every other pixel. Default is 1.

Return Value

Success:Returns a string containing the pixel's coordinates in the format "x,y"Failure:Sets oAutoIt.error to 1 if color is not found.

To use it:

Add the autoitx reference to your project
import it into your app
create and instance
call the method

have fun!

Back