Question Filter DataSet with parent / child tables

roccoman

Programming Experience
5-10
hi all, been awhile since i posted here

i'm not %100 sure this is the proper forums (my question is about DataSets within the code) but here goes:

i have a DataSet with 3 tables - 1 parent table ("TableA"), 2 child tables ("TableB", "TableC").

i need to cascade the results when i filter the parent table records - basically:

TableA.Field=value

and then only show the records from TableB, TableC that have a parent row.

without doing a for / next loop, is there anyway to apply a filter like this to a dataset object? i tried using a DataViewManager but with no luck.

thanks in advance!

jmcilhinney - i am not displaying the data at all. the data is to be used in a report output (mailing labels to be specific).

my intent is to filter the parent datatable records by a value (where fieldA = "X") and then have only those corresponding child records be present in the child datatables.

i wanted to avoid for-next loops and/or requerying the data for speed purposes. load once, filter on demand.

i dont know if this is possible with DataSets though, so i thought i would ask the experts here. from my research it is not possible (or at least not easy to do), but i had to ask.

Back