Question file from one pc to another pc?

xxiouxx

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello, I am new here and to .net programming. I want to create a small app in VB.Net that allows directly sending a file from one pc to another pc. (over inet, not LAN)
I want the app to be both server and client in one. Like in AIM, or yahoo msgr you can "send file" to your buddy directly. The file will automatically be saved on remote pc as "C:\whateverfilenameis.ext" below is a photo of what I have so far... browse, WAN, and Ping buttons work so far.. in the "host ip" text box is where I put ip to send file and it sends. Can anyone tell me where I need to start? I have seen examples of server/client, but all those are two programs, and I need this to be one.(if thats possible?) Thanks for reading. Sorry if this post is in wrong spot, please move or delete as needed mods.

Attachments

• sf2.jpg
    sf2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 29
I guess I should have mentioned.. This will be for a couple of friends, and my mom. (who don't know a lot about PCs) I plan on putting it on a set port and forward the port on their router/firewall manually. I am not saying you are wrong because obviously I don't know.. But I do know instant msg programs do it with one program and I want to know how is all. As I said, I am new to programming, but I am not new to networking/pc. Thanks for input.

In short, you need one app to send the file and another app to listen on that port and receive the file. You can do both in the same exe because when listening you do that on a separate thread anyways (it just runs a listen loop) and you can have it receive a file on yet another thread too.

I've never done file transfer but here's a thread where the guy (I helped a little) made the base classes for an instant messenger: TCP Client/Server Classes - VBForums

Back