Express missing reportviewer control?

Anti-Rich

Programming Experience
1-3
hey all,

im just wondering if vb 2005 express is supposed to come with the reportviewer control (like in vs2003)? i have just purchased crystalreports 8.5 (old, i know but cheap, and i need a 3rd party tool to use reporting)... so am i missing a control, and also, if i install cr 8.5, will it install an additional control in vs ide to view the reports?

cheers all for your feedback
regards
adam

VB Express is a cut down version of the IDE aimed at students and enthusiasts. They are not the sort of people who normally use Crystal Reports. That's the sort of high-powered feature you need to pay for. As for Crystal 8.5 providing programmable components, even with Crystal XI you have to have Release 2 to have it integrate with VS, so I don't like your chances with 8.5.

dammit thats not good at all. well, i have to give it a try, im paying for it tomorrow...

otherwise ill just sell it.

would it be possible to generate a "report" (i use the term loosely here) just from pure html?

my employer does not like to fork out large sums of money to upgrade to say professional edition...

would it work?
regards
adam

A report is just a nice way of displaying data. You can display data any way you want and call it a report. The more trouble you go to the more flexible it will be and the better it should tend to look. There's also SQL Server Reporting Services you might like to look into. The Advanced version of SQL Server Express comes with Reporting Services and it's free.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

Back