Essential GDI+ resource

Anti-Rich

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi Everyone,

I have been dabbling in GDI+ the past couple of weeks, creating my own controls. and being completely new to a subject i ran into SO freakin many roadblocks along the way. along with help from the various brains of the forum (you know who you are, THANKYOU! :)) i managed to surmount about 99% of them.

in my various digging around for solutions, i came across this little gem:

http://www.apress.com/ApressCorporate/supplement/1/107/159059035X-534.pdf

it is a sample chapter of one of the MANY books on the aspress site and it basically covers quite a bit of GDI+, even if it is just a sample chapter. the reason i am posting this is so that others who are curious about the basics/intermediates of GDI+ can use this as a very useful starting point. i would also request that a moderator makes this a sticky, so it doesnt get lost in the pile of threads :)

thankyou, and happy programming!

regards
adam

Thanks for the link. That looks like it will be really useful. I need to get ahold of a good GDI+ book, since I've just started trying to experiment with it. Actually, I created my current avatar with GDI+. It has to be small to be used as an avatar, but it's supposed to be a ham radio. This forum has really been a big help with GDI+ (and lots of other things).

Yeah, I came across that one myself...

In fact, you almost can't search on a GDI topic on Google without it spittin that one up.

Like you, I'm just getting into the GDI stuff and I've found that I continue to refer back to this resource.

It's definitely a good freebie chapter; I especially liked the fact that Symmonds gives you the C# and vb.net code side-by-side. I was contemplating ordering the whole book based on what I saw in this chapter.

My only hesitation is that the book was published in 2002 and being relatively new on the vb.net visual studio scene and not knowing what's transpired or changed in the last few years, I'm afraid it may contain a good deal of outdated info. Anyone happen to know?

This is the book...
GDI+ Programming in C# and VB .NET

• By Nick Symmonds
  • ISBN: 159059035X
  • 624 pp.
  • Published: Jun 2002
  • Price: $59.95

Get the book....it's worth it

Hi all:

I got the Nick Symonds book several months ago through Half.com (or some other used book website). It really was beneficial for me and helped me see how to use GDI+ much more effectively and efficently.

Can't recommend it enough.

When I was struggling with an app once a developer said, "Just use GDI+". But I shyed away from it, until I got Nick's book.

Have fun.
Norm

Back