Error handling question

Camus

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am renaming files from .txt to .csv within a directory. the code i am using to do this is -

VB.NET:
        Dim number As Integer

number = 5

Do While number = 5

Dim dir As DirectoryInfo = New DirectoryInfo("\\IFADATAFLOW1\SharedDocs\Test production bucket folder")

For Each fileinfo As IO.FileInfo In dir.GetFiles
                    If fileinfo.Extension.ToLower = ".txt" Then
                        Dim sb As New StringBuilder
                        sb.Append(Path.GetDirectoryName(fileinfo.FullName))
                        sb.Append("\")
                        sb.Append(Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(fileinfo.FullName))
                        sb.Append(".csv")
                        fileinfo.MoveTo(sb.ToString)
                    End If
                Next

As you can see I have created an endless loop here because i want the code to be constantly running so that files are renamed as soon as they are saved to the directory.

This works fine 85% of the time but occasionally an error occurs and my program exits, i think this is because it is trying to rename a txt file which is still in use by the program that is creating it.

To get around this i used a Try...Catch statement and repeated the above code within 'catch'...so it is effectively having two attempts at renaming the file. This improved the success rate but it errors still occur.

What would be alot better is if i could say 'on error, restart the loop', is there any way to do this?

by the way, this is what my code looks like at the moment using the try...catch statements...

VB.NET:
Imports system.io
Imports System.Text

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim number As Integer

number = 5

Try

Do While number = 5

Dim dir As DirectoryInfo = New DirectoryInfo("\\IFADATAFLOW1\SharedDocs\Test production bucket folder")

sb.Append("\")
                        sb.Append(".csv")
                    End If
                Next

Loop

Catch

Try

Do While number = 5

sb.Append("\")
                            sb.Append(".csv")

End If
                    Next
                Loop
            Catch

Do While number = 5

sb.Append("\")
                            sb.Append(".csv")

End If
                    Next
                Loop

End Try

End Try

End Sub

hey thanks...so calling the function from a loop will cause it to keep repeating the loop when an error occurs?

im not completely sure how to create the function or call it from a loop, any tips?

Thanks, I did that. By the way, I got around the error handling problem by using 'on error resume next' so I did away with the try catch statements.

Thanks, I did that. By the way, I got around the error handling problem by using 'on error resume next' so I did away with the try catch statements.
That's a step backwards. You should be moving from On Error Resume Next to Try...Catch. If you want a loop to continue after an exception then the loop should not be inside the Try block. The whole Try...Catch block should be inside the loop, e.g.
VB.NET:
Do
    Try
        'Do something here.
    Catch
        'Clean up if required.
    End Try
Loop

You also have the Path.ChangeExtension Method and FileSystemWatcher class (in Toolbox, Components too).

Back