Document Printing through Word Mailmerge

Aarvee

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi !

In my application, I would like to use Word to design the document formats like Purchase Order, Payment Voucher, Invoice etc and locate the text and variables at the appropriate places. I would like to select the row from the datatable through SQL and use the values in the row to print the document through what is popularly known as mailmerge. Even though mailmerge addresses the printing of more than one document with the data changing for each form letter, I would like to start with getting the data for one document at a time. I can loop over multiple records to print multiple docments.

The IDE is VB.Net and database is MS SQL Server 2000.

The important thing is the word document will have tables and boxes and I need to position the contents of variables in the respective position.

On second thoughts since I am going to print only one document at a time, would a RichTextBox be a better option ? I can load the format of the document into the RichTextBox and use it to print the document.

I would like to use Word and not Crystal Reports by design. It is just my way of taking my own challenges and no drawback of Crystal Report. Hence the usage of Crystal reports is not being considered by me.

If anyone can guide me on how to do this, it would be great.

Thanks and Best Regards

Varadarajan R

Back