doctype, treeview & CSS issue

N_K

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

A colleague of mine is using a treeview to generate a site map for the .Net site we're developing. We've hit a problem.

The treeview seems to show a break between a few elements . After raising a query about it it was suggested he change the doctype from this:
VB.NET:
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT='Courier New']<![/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=maroon][COLOR=maroon][FONT='Courier New']DOCTYPE[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT='Courier New'] [COLOR=red][COLOR=red]html[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=red][COLOR=red]PUBLIC[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
 [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT='Courier New']<[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=maroon][COLOR=maroon][FONT='Courier New']html[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT='Courier New'] [COLOR=red][COLOR=red]xmlns[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]>[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
to this:

VB.NET:
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT='Courier New']<![/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=maroon][COLOR=maroon][FONT='Courier New']DOCTYPE[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT='Courier New'] [COLOR=red][COLOR=red]HTML[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=red][COLOR=red]PUBLIC[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0  Transitional//EN">[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
 [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT='Courier New']<[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=maroon][COLOR=maroon][FONT='Courier New']html[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT='Courier New']>[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

It fixes the bug with the treeview but it seems to disable some CSS used on the page. The page is laid out using a table which wits in a container div with a fixed width. This container div is given the 'margin: 0 auto' command in CSS. (I probably could use the text-align attribute but i want to use CSS attributes for their purpose where I can). Changing the doctype as above seems to make the page ignore this margin command which centers the page.

Does anyone have a solution? It seems shocking that .Net 2.0 should enforce us to use an older doctype for the sake of one control.

Id appreciate anything you guys can contribute.

NK

Can anyone

Back