Direct printing

dreamtime

Programming Experience
1-3
I have searched many forums and have grappled with this question a few times with no resolution. And no-one else seems to have an answer. But I though I would check anyhow.

I seem to have an unfair time with printers. I thought I had got my problems resolved...

The PrintToPrinter method does not work for me. It has appeared to be the cause of issues in the past because it does not have, in my experience, any control over such things as print quality (I have been unable to set resolution for example - even when showing a print dialog before hand the resolution never alters).

So I am using the Crystal Report Viewer print method. This works well but recently a client has requested that the output from the application prints to a booklet. When I produce a report, it is actually the same report for several people. I combine them into the one report document and hence it prints as one. The booklet would require each persons report to be sent to the printer as separate entities (so the printer knows when to start the new booklet). If possible, this would be my preferred method anyway as the application could 'tick' off the printed persons reports as it goes. A cancellation could then continue from the last unprinted report.

I can of course produce a loop to query the database person by person and to fill the report document one at a time. I did this in the past with the PrintToPrinter method.

The problem is that the only other print method is crystalreportviewer.printreport and this shows a print options dialog (to select printer, etc). This is ideal for the first persons report but annoying for the other 33. I need to suppress the options dialog.

I am sure if I could get this one problem resolved that all my others would disappear.

I would really appreciate any thoughts as my deadline is tight. At worse, the client can just click the OK 34 times but I would love to be able to avoid this.

I am using Visual Studio 2005 and the bundled Crystal Reports.

Last edited:
Back