Developing Compact Framework apps for multiple resolutions?

Administrator

VB.NET Forum Admin
Programming Experience
10+
For those of you doing .NET Compact Framework development, are you supporting multiple screen sizes? Sadly, Windows Mobile comes in Smartphone, 240x240, 320x240, and VGA (640x480). This certainly makes it tough to build an app and have it work on all available Windows Mobile platforms, much less Windows Mobile 5 vs. Windows Mobile earlier versions.

I'm interested in how others are handling development for multiple resolutions. Are you setting up a single solution with multiple projects, each project for a different resolution? Using file linking for shared code?

If you've seen/read any articles on this topic as well, feel free to post links.

*nod* this is a very important topic since to make a program that is adaptable is incredibly important. Im working with this for my honour's project.

The easiest way to overcome this would be anchor items so that irrespective of the screen res the controls would be displayed in the correct place. When it comes to 640x480 you'd have a helluva lot of open space though. I guess that int these circumstances, for the two lower res screens, design it for the lower res and let it be used on the higher. Then with 640x480 have a totally separate layout (if necessary)

I completed the app, .NET 2.0 makes this much easier with the dpi feature where it auto-scales, and yes, anchoring is key for handling rotated displays. I'm impressed with the .NETCF 2.0, still has a ways to go, but it's much better than v1!

*nod* glad all came right :) As it is I've never actually coded anything for a handheld device before! Just starting (at this moment in fact). I have someone else's code but since I dont know whats going on its gonna be difficult *cry* For the screen design it seems natural (since MS is MS and everything is generic) that anchoring would be cool. With the DPI bit, how do the controls change? If the autoscale is set to nothing, would the controls appear really small in 640x480? But with it, they appear the same size as they would on lower res?

Don't suppose you'd be willing to help me out a bit? Seeing as you've successfully managed to code for these devices? I dont know if I should start a new thread or what-have-you. Basically, I just want to ask how to go about it all. I know these devices have very little memory so you have to micro manage it all but how to do it defeats me! How to connect to a desktop server program when connected through WiFi, how to use multiple forms, how to have an icon in the 'systray' of these devices... I have so many questions but dont know where to start.

The best thing to do is experiment. I chose a Pocket PC 2003 for my application as this will be more restrictive between 2003 and Windows Mobile 5, but still run on Windows Mobile 5. I also developed using the standard screen size and not the VGA version, but you can test using the emulators.

You will learn as you go as I did. Good luck with your development, VS 2005 is outstanding as well as the documentation which you should reference for great articles and information to assist you.

Back