Desktop app doesn't work

JohnM

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello,
I have put an app on a PC with Windows 2000. Updated with SP4. I created the app in XP. I have downloaded files Dotnetfx.exe, MDAC 2.8 and Winstaller Package, and Jet4.0. I get an error that the MDB files can't be found. The error message refers to the path for the MDB files where they are located on the PC I created the app on.

I'm new so I must be missing something right in front of my face.
Any advice will be very much appreciated.

John M

Brandon,
On the development machines it's in the:c\ Documents and Settings\JM\My Documents\Choices\lesiure.mdb
On the production machine, I can't find it.

What I did was create the installer package on the development machine. Using New Project, deployment ect. This created a short cut. I then installed it on the production machine. Then ran the shortcut. I get all my forms, images, but no databases.

Thanks for your question. I'm sure I am missing something basic.

John

Yahoo

Brandon,

THANK YOU for your great question!!!!!
I found the answer... I had to create a folder structure exactly like the one on the development machine....it works great... now I can start to sell this thing.. THANK YOU for that great question.
JOHN M

i know this is kind of old/late but what i do is on application startup i have it modify the database connection string(s) in code to look for the database(s):
cnn.Close()
cnn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Application.StartupPath & "\Database.mdb"
cnn.Open()

Thanks Juggalo

Never thought of doing that. I'm new at this. To have it automatically check for it is really professional. Thanks for the advice.

Back