Desktop app doesn't work

JohnM

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello,
I have put an app on a PC with Windows 2000. Updated with SP4. I created the app in XP. I have downloaded files Dotnetfx.exe, MDAC 2.8 and Winstaller Package, and Jet4.0. I get an error that the MDB files can't be found. The error message refers to the path for the MDB files where they are located on the PC I created the app on.

I'm new so I must be missing something right in front of my face.
Any advice will be very much appreciated.

John M

Schenz

Programming Experience
5-10
Where is the MDB on the development machine, and where is the MDB on the Production machine?

JohnM

Programming Experience
1-3
Brandon,
On the development machines it's in the:c\ Documents and Settings\JM\My Documents\Choices\lesiure.mdb
On the production machine, I can't find it.

What I did was create the installer package on the development machine. Using New Project, deployment ect. This created a short cut. I then installed it on the production machine. Then ran the shortcut. I get all my forms, images, but no databases.

Thanks for your question. I'm sure I am missing something basic.

John

JohnM

Programming Experience
1-3
Yahoo

Brandon,

THANK YOU for your great question!!!!!
I found the answer... I had to create a folder structure exactly like the one on the development machine....it works great... now I can start to sell this thing.. THANK YOU for that great question.
JOHN M

JuggaloBrotha

VB.NET Forum Moderator
Staff member
Programming Experience
10+
i know this is kind of old/late but what i do is on application startup i have it modify the database connection string(s) in code to look for the database(s):
cnn.Close()
cnn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Application.StartupPath & "\Database.mdb"
cnn.Open()

JohnM

Programming Experience
1-3
Thanks Juggalo

Never thought of doing that. I'm new at this. To have it automatically check for it is really professional. Thanks for the advice.

caramia

Programming Experience
Beginner
sry this should have been a new post not a reply

Last edited:
Top Bottom