Question Deployment Problem on Vista...

TurdRatchett

Programming Experience
10+
Deployment Problem on Vista...

I have created an application using VB 2008 Express on an XP machine. I created a deployment package and installed it on other XP machines with no problems.

I tried it on a Vista machine and all seemed well until performing a serial port function. It simply halts/locks up. I have to close it in task mangler. I thought I would circumvent the problem by building and publishing it on the Vista machine. While running the program from VB express the program functions perfectly on that Vista machine, but when I publish and install it on same it still crashes at the serial portion of the program.

Any advice or ideas would be highly appreciated!

TIA,
TR

Robert_Zenz

Programming Experience
3-5
Where exctly does it stop? At the Open() command? Maybe it's a rights problem, meaning the program may not have the rights to work with the Serial-Port. Try to run it as Administrator to see if that's the problem.

Bobby

TurdRatchett

Programming Experience
10+
Hi Bobby,

Thanks for your help! I don't know exactly where it is stopping since I'm running the executable. It must be at the point where the serial port is used. It runs fine if I run it from VB Express but once it's standalone it doesn't work.

Good point on the rights issue. I checked and there is only one user account on the Vista machine and it's an admin.

TR

Top Bottom