Question Deployment Problem on Vista...

TurdRatchett

Programming Experience
10+
Deployment Problem on Vista...

I have created an application using VB 2008 Express on an XP machine. I created a deployment package and installed it on other XP machines with no problems.

I tried it on a Vista machine and all seemed well until performing a serial port function. It simply halts/locks up. I have to close it in task mangler. I thought I would circumvent the problem by building and publishing it on the Vista machine. While running the program from VB express the program functions perfectly on that Vista machine, but when I publish and install it on same it still crashes at the serial portion of the program.

Any advice or ideas would be highly appreciated!

TIA,
TR

Where exctly does it stop? At the Open() command? Maybe it's a rights problem, meaning the program may not have the rights to work with the Serial-Port. Try to run it as Administrator to see if that's the problem.

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for your help! I don't know exactly where it is stopping since I'm running the executable. It must be at the point where the serial port is used. It runs fine if I run it from VB Express but once it's standalone it doesn't work.

Good point on the rights issue. I checked and there is only one user account on the Vista machine and it's an admin.

TR

Back