Deploying .Net / SQL Server 2005 replication

SMarsden543

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi,

I am experiencing a problem with deployment of a VB .Net application which carries out merge replication, and would greatly appreciate any assistance. I am currently struggling to find stuff about my problem on the net, which probably means either (a) I'm missing something really simple or (b) I shouldn't be trying to do this in the first place. :)

The story so far:
1. I added the SQLMergXLib.dll COM to my Visual Studio project, allowing me access to SQL Server merge replication functionality from my code, and wrote a procedure for synchronising a given pull subscription. This worked beautifully and with minimal fuss.
2. I tried to deploy the project to a different machine. I received an error to the effect of, "Couldn't create object, it's a COM object and it's not registered correctly." I have encountered this problem a few times before when trying to use Interop, so I called myself a few names, went back to the deployment project, and specified that the object should be registered. Still no joy. I tried this a couple of different ways round but then...
3. ...found an article on MSDN suggesting that I should consider using the managed Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication, Microsoft.SqlServer.Management, Microsoft.SqlServer.RMO interfaces instead. I reasoned that this would eliminate the registry issue altogether as everything would become native to the .Net framework, and this seemed infinitely preferable anyway, so I promptly substituted the SQLMergX DLL for these, rehashing my code to match. Again, this built and ran OK on my development machine.
4. I tried to deploy the project to a different machine. I received the following error: "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."

Now it's worth pointing out that I think I know what the problem might be here: No SQL Server of any kind is installed on the target machine. However, SQL Server is not required to deploy standard database solutions in .Net, and I am hoping this is also true with the Microsoft.SqlServer... namespaces, as it is a requirement that the subscription database can be located anywhere (not necessarily the target machine), and therefore that SQL Server need not be present on the target machine. However, if this is simply impossible, please let me know so that I can look at other alternatives.

Other than that, I don't mind what method I use to get the synchronisation working as long as it works (I've been at this a good few days now...), so if anyone has done this before and can offer any assistance (any registering/files I need to include etc, I am hoping it is something that simple), it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.

Back