DataBindingSource n stuff

picoflop

Programming Experience
5-10
Hi,

I notice in most vb forums that ppl are using the "built in" data access tools heavily. I mean databinding, datatables, etc.

I am coming from vb6 (or more exactly Appforge MobileVB ... hi neal ;) ) and therefore hardly ever used such stuff. More or less always using OleDB and filling my data fields "by hand" (i.e using "SELECT" statements and the run through the records to put the data into the right fields). I definitely DO like the new .NET features, but I cant get used to all this "automatism" stuff. I like to have full control about everything what happens and feel uncomfortable with the new data access components.

Besides a (much?) shorter design time, is there really a big advantage in using the automated tools?

regards

Binding Data to WinForms Controls in VB.NET 2.0

...the dynamic form works as well as one that might have taken hours or days to create by hand.

You can put a bold on 'much' in your statement. Can you do it the old way? Of Course. Should you? If you want to pour your blood and sweat into having control over every minute detail then so be it.

I expect all of your example code to have programmatically added controls in the future. Oh, you let 'automatism' do that for you!?

All of this 'automatism' stuff is put in place to help you get it out of the way so you can focus on your program's logic.

Besides a (much?) shorter design time, is there really a big advantage in using the automated tools?

They write better code in 5 seconds than a human can in a week?

People use the UI designer and don't care about having "full control" over that code or don't want to write thousands of lines that specify where labels, buttons etc appear, but don't want to use a visual designer for data access -> hypocrisy?

The code they make is available for us to inspect, satisfy ourselves that it's correct and good and then we can let go of the control freak issues surrounding this "magic black box"?

The way they encourage people to modularise their code (or build application layers) is a Good Thing?

I like to have full control about everything what happens
So you don't even use Visual Studio, or an operating system at all; you have a special program that lets you code directly in a 1GL language (First-generation programming language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) direct after a BIOS prompt so you can make sure that that IF statement the CPU is executing uses exactly your 7 preferred assembly commands, and not a wasteful 8, or 9.. ?

Of course not.. That would be far too time consuming and boring, writing code that a machine is perfectly capable of writing (Think about it; that's what a compiler does)

It's only when you start using the data access enhancements that you realise how much of your life you wasted writing data access code that is the same thing over and over; the only thing that changes is the table name and the parameter name/type; something "automatism" can handle easily

Back