Database transaction & invoice application with MySQL & VB.Net

NightWolf88

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi

Im looking to make a personal database in MySQL and make a front end in VB.Net.

I need to be able to in windows forms:
  • Make Transactions
  • Produce Reports (Simmilar to that in Access)
  • Produce Invitatory
  • Make a list of suppliers when stock gets low and lead times to order stock... etc
Does any one know where I could find a tutorial, example code/application to help me get this done.

I have done something simmilar, using files with an array of records, however I would like to use a SQL server.

I have generated all my tables in Access and then imported them to MySQL, so if anyone has a simmilar example using an access database rather than a SQL server that would be great to just to see what i should be looking at doing to code forums.

Thanks
NW

ok, i'll try to help you out but first let me str8 some things here ... you are mentioning both mySQL and SQL server in same context. I beleive you know that these two are two different things.
Btw, you will find nowhere any sort of tutorial about invoices/transaction as it's very individual matter ...
And for the reports you can use Crystal Reports that comes with VS.NET.
However let me know what do you think when you say mySQL and what when you say SQL Server?

Regards ;)

Thanks very much for the fast reply. :)

When i said SQL server, I was saying if any one has knows where i can find some examples using something differnt to MySQL, then that would be good.

I have MySQL installed atm so its the best to use for me, but if there is something else that is better im happy to use.

Ive noticed Crystal Reports in VS 2003 before, but never played around with because ive never needed it... so far as a I know...

What is Crystal Reports Ive heard about it, but i thought it was a stand alone application... I have, in my searching been reading about intergrating Crystal Reports. What can it do? Is it what im looking for to generate reports?

Thanks
NW

You should download the 101 VB.NET samples from Microsoft. Also, you may as well stick with MySQL as you already have it and there isn't really anything specifically better. I'd also recommend downloading a MySQL-specific data connector for .NET. That way you can use objects designed specifically for MySQL. One of the good things about ADO.NET though is the fact that it is virtually identical regardless of the data source. All the Microsoft examples will be for SQL Server, but you can simply substitute the appropriate namespace and classes and the code is almost identical, e.g. SqlConnection <=> OleDbConnection <=> MySqlConnection. With regards to Crystal, VS.NET 2003 comes packaged with classes that allow you to design reports in the IDE and view them in your app. It's a long way short of what the CR application can do but it's more than adequate for the majority.

Links:
101 VB.NET 1.1 samples
MySQL data connector
ADO.NET tutorial (one of many available on the Net)

I beleive that John already gave you the answers but however this is my 2 cents:
mySQL is the best way to achieve the speed without $$$$$$ (don't even dare to find a price for SQL Server) :D
About CR ... also if you want to achive the best for your reports (good price, look, simplicity, easy made etc.) then go for crystal reports ... It's time to learn something new ... isn't it?

Regards ;)

Thanks very much for all the info/links/advice. :)

Im gonna have a bit of a play round with some of that stuff tonite, read all those links.

I think it is time to learn something new... Infomation is power :p

With the MySQL data adpater I have been using is the one found on this site:

http://www.vbmysql.com/articles

http://www.vbmysql.com/articles/vb_mysql_tutorials/vb_mysql_tutorial-part3.html#part7

Ive been following their tutorials, however a few functions are only used in VS 2005, and i dont have it, I dowloaded it but i need SP2, and i dont really want to install SP2 on this PC, its got a lot on it and from what i know SP2 is better with a clean install.

Thanks
NW

Back