Question Data Entity Model Not Showing Access Databases As An Option

dukeofawesome

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi,

I am experimenting the Entity Data Model Wizard and when I get the options to "Choose The Data Source" the options for Microsoft Access are not listed. I watched the Microsoft Entityhow to video and it definitely has it listed.

How can I list MS Access?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks

Duke

Firstly, your profile says that you're using VS.NET 2003 and .NET 1.1. Clearly you're not so please update your profile.

As for the issue, I just tried creating an EF data model with designer from database in VS 2013 Ultimate and it only gave me SQL Server as an option for the data source. Can you provide a link to this video you watched so that we can compare apples to apples?

Firstly, your profile says that you're using VS.NET 2003 and .NET 1.1. Clearly you're not so please update your profile.

As for the issue, I just tried creating an EF data model with designer from database in VS 2013 Ultimate and it only gave me SQL Server as an option for the data source. Can you provide a link to this video you watched so that we can compare apples to apples?

Hi,

the link is here:

Entity Framework Code First to an Existing Database

If you scroll down the page you will see screen shot with the various option that includes Access Databases. Here is the screen shot:

jj200620.SelectDataSource(en-us,MSDN.10).png

i've even downloaded the latest Entity Framework from here:

Download Entity Framework 6 Tools for Visual Studio 2012 & 2013 from Official Microsoft Download Center

And that doesn't work either.

Thanks

Duke

You have misunderstood. That step is about creating the database, which is done by simply creating an ADO.NET connection to it in that tutorial. You can create an ADO.NET connection to an Access database, hence it appears in that particular dialogue. That dialogue has nothing specific to do with the Entity Framework though. You cannot use an Access database with EF. VS supports SQL Server only by default or you can download third-party providers for other data sources, e.g. MySQL and Oracle.

OK thanks. I feel a bit stupid... :ambivalence:

It's just a case of going into something with preconceived ideas and only seeing what you expect to see as a result. We all do that from time to time. :)

Back