Question mysql as a data source in IDE?

ideprize

Programming Experience
10+
Hi All

This question is actually 2 questions in one. I am trying to (my first) create a datagrid object using vs2005. The database is a mysql DB/table. VS2005 does not seem to support mysql as a data source. I tried using the "Oracle" client but that is taking me off into a "whole new world". My second question is "if I upgrade to VS 2012 would this solve the problem"? The reason why I have not upgraded the VS product is because the newer VS products are so complicated in the options realm, that I am not sure what I should purchase to replicate my current VS 2005 functionality - which I am very happy with. I don't need model generation, etc. I just want to be able to develop VB.net programs as easy as I do in VS2005 - it has been a very good friend! If it is the case that VS2005 will provide the datagrid functionality with mysql then please inform. I do, however, want to "move one" so if someone can help me with that part of my predicament I would greatly appreciate that also. Thanks to everyone who provide assistance on this wonderful resource.

Respectfully,
IDEPRIZE

Development in later versions of VS is just as easy as in VS 2005. Just get the free Express edition(s) and then, if you need features that it doesn't provide, pay for the Professional edition. It's not likely that you'd need the Premium or Ultimate editions but you can always check out the feature list and compare them to Professional to decide because you won;t be able to just pay the difference if you change your mind later. With regards to VS Express, you'll want the one for Windows Desktop to create WinForms and/or WPF apps and the one for Web to create ASP.NET apps.

No version of VS has inbuilt support for MySQL. You have to download and install Connector/Net from the MySQL web site. That will provide much of the same functionality that is provided by default for SQL Server.

Back