Data access via Access or SQL Server

hwalisz

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm just getting my feet wet with VB.net.

I'm developing a program that will be delivered to clients who may have their data residing either on SQL server (they also have the option of using either Windows or SQL authentication), or it may be in Access.

Doesn't this situation make it impossible for me to use the wizards as a way to connect to & use my data?

Also, my boss wants me to use a UDL to get the data source, but if there's a better way in this situation maybe I can convince him otherwise.

A UDL just contains a connection string. I wouldnt recommend providing a solution that works with either SQLS or Access as they are very different beasts. If they want local database functionality, try SQLS Compact Edition (for e.g. hand held computers) or SQLS Express.. Typically, too you can put the connection string in the config file. This means you can put the wizard functionality in and you end up with a situation that is the same as a UDL, without being a UDL. (i.e. the config xml is a text file containing a connection string. a UDL is a text file containing a conn str. Same difference! :) )

You *could* use an OLE adapter to talk to SQLS and Access, depending on the connection string but you would have to be very careful to only use SQL syntax that both sides support

Additionally, youre "just getting your feet wet" with .NET.. Eeesh! Talk about biting off a big lot to chew! We'll be seeing you often. Take a read of the DW2 link in my signature

Thank you very much for letting me know how difficult a task it is - I had no idea. I will discuss this with my supervisor & see if we can't settle on one way of accessing the data.

Kaizen ( a japanese philosophy promoting continuous improvemnt) reminds us to "ask 'why?' five times.."

so start off:
"Why both SQLS and access?"

and drill into the problem, then at the root you will hopefully find a simpler requirement that can be met more easily :)

Back