Question Create a Debugger

StoneCodeMonkey

Programming Experience
5-10
-Original text of posted deleted by StoneCodeMonkey-

Ok, let me start over.

I would like to create a debugger, similar to any debugger found in a good IDE, but I am only interested in debugging managed code at the moment. I'm not looking to completely reproduce the abilities in Visual Studio. I'm just trying to understand the process of how a debugger works.

I think the general process of a debugger would be to create a process, maybe using System.Diagnostics.Process. Setting appropriate flags and subscribing to proper events so that I can execute the process one step at a time. I think I have to create a debug loop to handle a debug event.

As I understand it the source code, when compiled, must be set to create the pdb file, so that as the process executes the debugger can in turn identify the source file line of code.

Can anyone confirm that System.Diagnostics is the place to start? That it can be used to create a rudimentary debugger application?

Regards,

Last edited:
Ok, I think I found the right forum for my question.

Welcome!
Welcome to the ICorDebug/MDbg forum. This forum is for discussing the CLR Debugging Services (ICorDebug) and the Managed Debugger Sample that builds on top of it.
This is a great place to post any questions you have about the Mdbg sample, ICorDebug, the CLR debugging services, etc. If you're writing your own managed debugger, or just writing a simple tool on top of ICorDebug/MDbg, you definitely want to keep this forum in mind.

The forum can be found here Building Development and Diagnostic Tools for .Net Forum

Back