Could really do with sorting out the [code] shortcomings

cjard

Programming Experience
10+
Two complaints with posting code on this particular forum:

1, it takes highlighted code (very nice) and makes an error when pasting it in, not putting a space between successive words of the same colour (PublicSub)

2, it resists long-line attacks by inserting spaces if a char sequence of > length X is incountered without spaces, but this limit is too low, or the delimiters are not properly defined (many characters can cause a line wrap such a period, brackets etc and these are present in code with sufficient regularity to prevent the forum being attacked with long lines when legitimate users are posting code)

2.1, I understand there is a code box that should be used when posting code, and I do use it, but the inherent problem with the code box is that it allows/causes long-line attacks..

VB.NET:
verylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylonglineverylongline

the code box itself should scroll, not the whole browser page

while it doesnt wreck the thread width like it used to in a few board softs, it still makes the poster's words outside of the code box hard to read. on codeguru, the codebox has its own horizontal scrollbar, and i think it should be enabled here..

Nothing I can do about this, sorry! It's vBulletin and how it handles the data. For very long lines, put in a space or CR and it will probably resolve the issue.

Back