Controlling remote Windows Media Player

DouglasBell

Programming Experience
Beginner
Visual Basic 2005

Hi All

I have an information screen that displays messages and runs a video.

I would now like the reception to take over of controlling this so I want to write a very simple app that lets the reception from her PC control the various things.

I have the app working with the remote screens and she can update and display what she needs, however I am having difficluty in trying to find a way to control Windows Media Player from a remote App.

I basically want her to be able to Play / Pause / Stop / Repeat Mute, Minimize, Fullscreen and work the volume control remotly. There will only ever be 1 video playing on this screen.

Is it possible to control a remote computers Windows Media Player via a VB.net App.

I was playing with the SendMessage(ParenthWnd, WM_COMMAND, New IntPtr(WMP9_VOLUME_MUTE), lParam) and various commands, but for this to work I had to create a small process on the Display Screen that looked up an ini file for a value and sent a command based on the value it saw, this run on a timer. My problem with this is it cannot tell the current state of the WMP, if its stopped, paused ect, also it would stutter the video every so often

Cheers Dj

Back