Controlling NIS from VB Code

MiloCold

Programming Experience
Beginner
Greetings,

Ok, I've got this application that FTPs files to a directory based on if the file has been updated or not. The entire transfer is typically around 11 MB. The issue is when I enable NIS on my machine the FTP app slows to a crawl and my processor gets pounded like Mike Tyson.

When I disable NIS the APP flys and everything is great, except for the fact that my firewall need to be manually turned off and on when the app is down.

Is their anyway to stop and start Norton Firewall like a process? or perhaps a command prompt (net stop/start doesn't work)?

Thanks in advance
M.Cold

Last edited:
Damn, my posts never get any lovin'. Are you all Tyson Fans or something :D

You might, in later posts, describe what NIS is. Many people don't bother with Norton Internet Security as they prefer other means of protection (NIS is probably fine, my point is that not everyone uses it or knows what it is).

Is your program uploading to a server or downloading from a client?

If your program is acting as the server and the client is using PASV mode you will need to open all the ports necessary to accept a connection (1024-65535, pretty much all of them. Or whatever range you specified in your program, if any). That or just disable NIS altogether.

If your program is acting as the client, I'm not sure what is happening there but a firewall should be configured to allow outgoing connections (or LAN to WAN if you have a router, in which case NIS is useless). That way you don't have to disable/configure it every time you want to use a new program that hasn't been given access.

In my routers firewall I allow all outbound connections on any port. Saves a lot of hassle and doesn't compromise security.

Not sure if that was any help. But without more info that's all I can contribute.

Back