child windows should'nt appear separately

pettrer

Programming Experience
10+
Hi,

I have a quick question. When I open several child windows in my winforms application, they all end up as below, but I just want them in one "list window" (as it's only the top "list window" that is accessible anyway).

I use this kind of coding to open the actual child windows:
VB.NET:
Dim child As New frmGetPeople(Me)
        child.ShowDialog(Me)

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Pettrer

Attachments

• multiple_windows.jpg
    multiple_windows.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 29
If I understand you correctly you have to set ShowInTaskbar property for those forms to False.

Thanks John, but I always want the top window only to be visible in the taskbar, if you understand what I mean.

In other words, when the user tries to access the application via the taskbar, the user should always get to the "active" window, not to a window that is blank while waiting for a result from an active window. I guess there is some default setting fot this but I have no idea what it might be.

Pettrer

When you're using ShowDialog only the "topmost" active dialog appears whichever taskbar window you select, so hiding all the dialog forms from taskbar and selecting main window there will bring up the active dialog.

This setting is actually default for the Dialog form template, also with some other property values that differ from the default form ones, you should have a look at it.

Back