Change data type size

albertkhor

Programming Experience
Beginner
i'm using microsoft access and oledb.

i create a table which name "Product". Inside the "Product" table have 3 field: id, name, price. The name field i set as varchar and size is 50.

But now i want to change the name field size to 100 is that possible? How to do that? If cannot change the size then i think drop table is posible right? but how to copy all the name field data to another field?

youwant to do this programmatically? (why?)

field size is a design time issue - something you gte right from the start. in this case solving it at design time is as simple as opening access, opening the table designer and changing the field size

yes, i know how to change the field size using access but my customer don't know . that is why i want to do this programmatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh, then you are issuing a fix? I see

I dont know exactly how it is for other DB but I would issue a statement like this for Oracle:

ALTER TABLE product MODIFY name VARCHAR2(100);

Downsizing conversions require the column to be empty in some cases. If this happens, you can:

1) CREATE TABLE tmpProduct as SELECT * FROM product;
2) DELETE FROM product;
3) ALTER TABLE product MODIFY name VARCHAR2(25);
4) INSERT INTO product(name, size, weight, etc)
SELECT(SUBSTR(name, 1, 25), size, weight, etc) FROM tmpProduct

Im sure youll be able to google for the corollarary in whatever DB tech youre using

Dear cjard,

Thanks for your reply but "ALTER TABLE product MODIFY name VARCHAR2(25);" cannot use in microsoft access~

Last edited by a moderator:
I did note that I didnt know what the syntax was for the DB engine youre using (Access), and i noted:

Im sure youll be able to google for the corollarary in whatever DB tech youre using

So, i recommend you look up how to ALTER TABLE in access.. Much as I could do it for you, I think you';ll gain more from the experience if you have a bash at using google yourself :)

Back