Cash drawer thing..

cuteangie

Programming Experience
1-3
Hii all..
im currently developing a retail system (using vb.net) which is using a cash drawer and a slip printer. rite now im having a problem on how to kick the cash drawer.
ive been searching all of this forum, another forum, google search, but still cannot figure this out..
can somebody help me pls..
i really dunno wat to do now..
Thx in advance..
:(

My sister-in-law works for a company that installs POS systems so I have had a little exposure to this type of thing. I believe that the cash drawer usually piggybacks on the printer, so it would involve sending some sort of command to the printer port. I would think that this sort of functionality would be provided by the drawer and/or printer driver. I've heard my SIL talk about OPOS quite a bit in this regard. I'd suggest a Google for OPOS and I'll see if I can find out anything else for you.

hey..
thx jmcilhinney..
soo happy finding a person who really try to help me outta this problem..
once again thx 4 ur effort..
ill be waitin 4ward for ur solution..
so meanwhile..
ill do a google like u suggested..

many thx..

I spoke to my sister-in-law but I'm afraid I didn't get too much information. She's pretty PC-literate but she's not a programmer so she doesn't know a lot of the low-level stuff. Apparently OPOS is a layer that provides a standard interface to things like cash drawers. You would send a command to the OPOS layer and it would pass it on to the hardware via an OPOS driver that each manufacturer would need to have written. Apparently the majority of OPOS drivers are pretty flaky. Also, I don't know how this OPOS layer is implemented and how you would communicate with it. Any cash drawers without OPOS drivers would also require you to include specific support in your application. I'm afraid that's all the help I can be, except to say that you should probably speak to someone from at least one supplier of cash drawers and ask them, as they should be able to tell you how to interact with their hardware. Once you know how to do it for one type, the others should be similar, if not the same.

I can't recall where I saw this, but I believe it's an extremely simple thing to do, something in the effect of sending a null type "tron" to the specified serial port, and the cash drawer opens when this tron is sent.

hii jmcilhinney..
juz cant believe dat ur still remember bout this POS thing..
but juz wanna let u know dat its already been solved..
but thanx a lot for ur information..
i really appreciate it..!!
:D

Back