Can't get charts in my program

jarredmorris

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello,
I'm new here. But I've encountered a problem and thought y'all could help out. I've searched the internet for what feels like hours and I just can't work it out, I can't even find anything related to the matter, maybe I'm just searching for the wrong thing, I'm not exactly an expert on programming but I know enough to get by.

I'm currently developing a Windows Form Application in Visual Studio 2010. I need to get a chart to appear in my program. However, it simply isn't possible.

The Chart control does not appear in the toolbox, I can't add it in. If I try to add it by right-clicking and selecting Choose Items... then the Chart controls in the .NET tab are checked, but they just won't appear in the toolbox and I can't find a way of putting a chart onto a form at all.

However, I have no problems getting a chart for new projects. I tried just now to create a new project, I put a chart in, and then saved the project. I then went to my original project, imported the form from the new project and it caused an error, gave a big error screen when I tried to take a look at that imported form. So charts work on new projects, but not for my existing project which is where I actually need them!

I have all the latest .NET frameworks. I work on my project on two systems. My home machine and a college computer. No-one there can seem to work out the problem either.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can fix this? Or what the problem is?

Cheers.

The Chart control is a standard part of .NET 4.0, so if your project targets .NET 4.0 then the Chart control will be present in the Toolbox and you will be able to add it to your forms. The Chart control is NOT a standard part of .NET 3.5, if your project targets .NET 3.5 then the Chart control will NOT be present in the Toolbox by default. The .NET 3.5 Chart control is a separate download, so you'll need to download and install it if you want to use it in .NET 3.5 apps. The Chart control doesn't exist at all for earlier versions of .NET as far as I can recall.

The Chart control is a standard part of .NET 4.0, so if your project targets .NET 4.0 then the Chart control will be present in the Toolbox and you will be able to add it to your forms. The Chart control is NOT a standard part of .NET 3.5, if your project targets .NET 3.5 then the Chart control will NOT be present in the Toolbox by default. The .NET 3.5 Chart control is a separate download, so you'll need to download and install it if you want to use it in .NET 3.5 apps. The Chart control doesn't exist at all for earlier versions of .NET as far as I can recall.

Ok thanks, I changed the target framework to .NET 4 and it works now.
I'm not completely sure why it wasn't targeting that in the first place, but it was originally targeting 3.5, anyway, it's all sorted now. Thanks again.

Back