cant find my old toolbar item

ghardy

Programming Experience
10+
hi,

i used to be running the vs2008 standard edition. my company gave me the vs2008 team edition and a windows 7 installation.

i used to have this toolbar dropdown that let me easily switch between release and debug configuration.

in the team system environment, i am having a lot of difficulty finding this toolbar item.

also, when i publish my app now, the publish web page does not come up.

any idea why things are so different now?

thanks.

To change between debug and release, you can always change it by clicking Build -> Configuration Manager. I haven't seen a dropdown on the toolbar since VS 2003.

As for publish, I've never used it so I can't speak to it.

no configuration manager

that's wierd...there is NO configuration manager on the build menu. i see no way to switch between a release and debug build. is this somehitn specific to the team system, that they dont expect you to be doing final release with this version?

geo

That might be because you dont have the 'Show advanced build configurations' turned on in the VS options. Click Tools\Options\Projects and Solutions and check it. Then it'll show on the Build menu

I dont know about VS 2002, but in 2003 and newer it's off by default. I'm wondering why by VS 2005 (and newer) Option Strict is off by default.

In VS2010 such things is even more hidden, not even available for customize by default, in Tools-Settings one can switch from Basic to Expert mode to enable them.

About the configuration drop-down, you can customize the toolbar, usually this belong in Build toolbar so you should show that, then 'Customize...' it and in Commands tab in Build category at the end of list is the 'Solution Configurations' item that you can drag to the Build toolbar.

Back