Can I run windows service that I created with vb.net on any computer ?

orit

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi, I created a service in vb.net that run ok. Now, I try to run it on another computer that doesn't have visual studio.net as i did on my computer with InstallUtil app.exe and I get the message "InstallUtil is not recognized as an internal or external command". So I copy the Framework directory and still the same message. First, is it possible to run it on computer without vs.net? If yes, how do I do it
Appreciate your help.

It's not possible for me to install vs.net in each client computer. Is there another way to run InstallUtil.exe for installing windows service .
Thanks

If you can't install .NET Framework (NOT to be confused with VS... but the Runtime FW is what you will need) then there's no way for the service to run. IntallUtil or not, w/o the framework, it isn't going to run.

As for your InstallUtil problem.... you need to make sure that the IntalUtil.exe is in the folder where your service is, or at least in one of the directories listed in the PATH environment.

-tg

to reiterate gnomes response

you must INSTALL the corresponding version of the .net framwork on your target machine. merely copying the directory will probably not work - and may cause all kinds of problems to boot. the 1.1 redist as avail at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

once this is done you can browse to c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\YOURVERSIONNUM and run the installUtil prog from there.

that should solve your problem.

Back