Buttons on a DataList

N_K

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

On each row of a DataList I have a button which will allow the user to edit that row's details and bring up an extra bit of the page.

I cant seem to refer to the button in my codebehind file, VS insists the button has not been declared.

How can I sort this out?

cheers,

NK

Hi,

I dunno if this is correct coz I am thinking it off-hand

VB.NET:
Dim btn As Button = CType(e.Item.Cells(yourcolumnIndex).FindControl("theButtonID"), button)

I used to have a problem similar to yours. VS could not recognise my HtmlInputControl, so this is what I did.

VB.NET:
Dim ht As HtmlInputControl = CType(e.Item.Cells(yourcolumnIndex).FindControl("ImageEdit"), HtmlInputControl)

i can access buttons in a similar way but I just cant seem to be able to create a subroutine for the click event of the button.

So far at the start of my code behind I have tried this:

VB.NET:
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DLEditButton [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
[/SIZE]

and then later on as part of the ItemDataBound Subroutine of my Datalist I have:

VB.NET:
[SIZE=2]
DLEditButton = e.Item.FindControl([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"EditLink"[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2])
[/SIZE]

in an attempt to access the button in each row of the dataset.

Later on I then have how I understand I should do the Click event

VB.NET:
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Protected[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DLEditButton_Click([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] sender [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Object[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2], [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] e [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] System.EventArgs) [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Handles[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DLEditButton.Click
GenerateContactDetail([/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800000]"Edit"[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2], LblAddressBookId.Text)
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Sub
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

My compiler doesnt like that and keeps giving me this message

"BC30506: Handles clause requires a WithEvents variable defined in the containing type or one of its base types."

What can I do? there must be some way of assigning buttons on each row of a datalist and handling their Click event.?!

I appreciate your help.

NK

The DataList.ItemCommand event happens for item buttons clicked. You can give each button different CommandName property and separate these in event parameter e.CommandName.

Back