Best language to convert .net app to web

JohnM

Programming Experience
1-3
I have created a neat visual basic app.In it are 25 little Access databases that the user selects things from. The costs of each selection is added, subtracted, divided and totaled. Finally all the selection totals (25 of them) are saved in one database that the user can come back later to either finish selecting (if he didn't before) or delete it. There are many images and sounds, text boxes, drop down lists,etc in the app. Its about 10MB big.

What langauge do you think would be the best one to use to put this app on the web so that users can play with it without buying a CD or downloading a CD?

Before I invest to have it re-done in a lanquage to put it on the web OR I learn another langauge and do it myself.. your advice would be important.

Thank you for your time

John Matthew

When you say VB, do you mean VB6 or VB.NET? Given the forum you've posted on, the only logical answer is that you implement it in VB.NET. As for technology, you would use ASP.NET or Silverlight. If you choose ASP.NET then you can use Web Forms, MVC or Web Pages. If you have no experience, maybe using WebMatrix and ASP.NET Web Pages would be the easiest way to go. You can always migrate to VWD Express or VS later if you want.

When you say VB, do you mean VB6 or VB.NET? Given the forum you've posted on, the only logical answer is that you implement it in VB.NET. As for technology, you would use ASP.NET or Silverlight. If you choose ASP.NET then you can use Web Forms, MVC or Web Pages. If you have no experience, maybe using WebMatrix and ASP.NET Web Pages would be the easiest way to go. You can always migrate to VWD Express or VS later if you want.

Thank you for the leads. Its vb.net. As you can see, I'm not very good yet in understanding terminology.

It sounds like I could convert the existing forms I have in the vb.net app to web forms in ASP.NET and maintain the functionality (selecting and saving to databases, sounds,images, dropdown lists, etc). I'll check out WebMatrix and ASP.NET Web Pages and see if I understand what I need to do.

From your experience does this conversion from vb.net to ASP.Net and how I described what it can do (databases,selecting,calculations,images and sounds)
be a difficult task?

John Matthew

This is an example of why building applications using a layered approach is the preferred way. Most likely you have all your logic in your forms. Ditch the forms and you lose all your logic. If you separate presentation logic from business logic, dat access, etc, then, in this case you would only have to replace the presentation layer and evrything else remains exactly the same. How hard the migration process is depends on the size of the project, your skill level and how intertwined your logical layers are.

That makes alot of sense.. I dug myself a big hole.99% of my logic is in the forms. Would an example of what you are saying be like creating a CALL statement that goes out of the form to a module for a calculation or a selection from a datagrid?

John

Back