Question Beginners Guide?

ProgrammingN00b

Programming Experience
Beginner
I'm at a loss here.

Basically, I've made my database in SQL Server, and now want to connect it and modify it using Visual Basic 2008 express.

I make the connection using Tools>New Connection, and it supposedly connects.

Now what? I've tried writing a connection string in the code, but keep getting told the login has failed. I haven't set a password. Is there anythin else I've ought to have done?

... but my option "create new sql server data base" is grey

Hello,:confused:
following the movie I fail already right at the beginning.
I have installed the SQL Server 2008 Express edition but, well, I have no clue what to do after installation. Do I need to start it? Do I need to do any additional settings? If so, what?
Help would be appreciated. I can use "add new data source" but then I get an error when I try to bind.
I use the German version, so pls do not be confused if your menue has slightly different namings.
Thx in advance!
Axel

the part in xaml "binding path" is marked in blue and the message is something like (translated back from German to English)
"the binding type was not found. all binding references have to be present and all assemblies , referenced to, have to be present."
(in this case I used an Access database)

Anyway, before I tried to proceed exactly as Beth Massi did in her Video.

Visual Basic How Do I Forms Over Data 1

But when she selects at 47 seconds "new SQL Server database" this is already greyed out on my PC....

Back