Beginner
Problem

Keep data about customers, accounts and managers on a access database

Customers are identified by a unique 8 character identifier

Table Customers

customerID char(8) (key field)
customerSurname varchar
customerForeNames varchar

customers can have lots of accounts. Accounts are identified by a automatically generated integer. Each account has a pin of exactly 4 digits. There is also a field called blocked whose value determines weather or not a customer can perform transaction on that account. A value of 1 means that the account is blocked.

Table Accounts

accountID int (key field)
customerID char(8)
balance money
blocked bit (default value 0 for false)
PIN char(4)

Information on bank workers stored in another table

Table managers

managerID char(8)
password char(10)

program should allow managers to log in by entering managerID and matching password. If login successful new screen that allows him/her to add new customers, accounts for existing customers and block accounts.

Form that simulates a cash dispenser. A customer should be able to enter accountID and associated PIN via a numeric keypad. Program must check to see if the account is valid and the accounted and PIN match. If allowed the customer should be presented with a form that allows him/her to check their balance, make a withdrawal or change PIN. If accountID is invalid customer should be informed of a error message. If the accountID is valid and the PIN does not match the customer get another 2 attempts but if the PIN is incorrect after the 3 attempts the account is blocked.

i would apreciate any help or advice

cheers.

The thing is that it's kind of a big question. Far too much to be answered in a single thread on this forum. Plus it would take a fair while to do. So rather than post the whole question why don't you just post the specific part that you are having problems with.

i know it is a big question and alot 2 answer at once but how long would it take to answer with code, advice etc....? i would compensate for your time and effort in someway or another!? if you would like to speak to me personally i could give you my e-mail address??

I only respond to questions on these forums i'm afraid. But i suppose we can try and get you started on the right direction. How far have you got, and can you post what you have so far.

i havent started it yet. to be honest i'm not the best programmer. i'm planning on starting her tonight? but where to start from i'm not sure?

www.rentacoder.com or www.getafreelancer.com will provide a list of people you can hire to do your homework for you.. but then, i guess you should ask yourself why youre working to pay for college if youre not going to learn the stuff at college that will eventually land you a better paid job..

this is your homework, for you, and your benefit!

we assist with problems you might encounter when you are doing your own homework, but we dont generally do people's homework for them.. not even if they are som incredibly hot chick, (but i'd make an exception if it were teri, or maybe cameron. maybe. if she asked nicely.)

with any database related system, you normally set the database up first, and fill it with valid, relevant test data. this makes your programming life so much easier if you can write code that works with values (i.e. having the values helps)

just changed jobs and will no longer require to learn vb.net but still on the course and just want to get it over and done with. i am going to try and do it myself but would like help/advive/code to help me along.

As cjard has said, first job create the database in access. Have you ever used OleDb before? If not don't worry i'll do my best to guide through. But i'm not gonna do it for you, just a pointer in the right direction.

another thing you can do is sport of "prove" the concept in access - throw a few tables together, some scruffy forms etc.. then once youre more aware of sql queries and how databases work out, we can crack on with the vb.net stuff

It sounds like you haven't coded much and haven't taken on projects that have multiple parts. Here is some advice.

1) Look at the problem and break it up into stages
2) Believe in the power of functions. As you write each function test it before moving on. Also don't write convoluted functions. Write a small comment block above each so you can remind yourself what it was for
3) Make use of standard notation. Prefixes on your variable names, A standard capitalization scheme, etc etc.
4) If you can't think well on the computer yet, then just sketch out what needs to do what. You might even want to learn a little UML so you can draw yourself some diagrams that make more sense.

Good luck to you and I wish you the best of luck. Just remember, this is a large project with lots of easy small pieces. Tackle them one at a time.

Back