Auto-Update Feature

supermanzdead

Programming Experience
Beginner
I would like to add an auto update feature to a program that I have created that can go back to a share on the network and check for updates and update the exe or other files automaticlly before the program is launched, I am new to VB.net (been using kixtart and kixforms until now). Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

ClickOnce deployment has this capability built-in, and all versions of VS 2005 have clickOnce deployment built-in. You should be able to find plenty of information about ClickOnce on MSDN.

Oops, I just noticed that you're using VS.NET 2003. Are you considering the upgrade because it would make it a lot easier? VB Express is free, although it doesn't have all the features of the grown-up version.

To be honest I havent even looked at upgrading yet, I havent even read up on VS 2005 yet, I saw the express download though, will check it out as soon as I get a chance, will code written with VS 2005 work with .net framework 1.1?

supermanzdead said:
I saw the express download though, will check it out as soon as I get a chance
Just make sure you get it before Nov 7 or you'll have to pay.
supermanzdead said:
will code written with VS 2005 work with .net framework 1.1?
No it won't.

If you want to update your application then obviously you can't have the applciation do it itself. You could have your app check for the availability of updates and then start a new process to actually do the updating. You can then close your main app and have the update process restart it when done. That's very general but you get the idea. As for performing the updates, the System.Net namespace contains the types you'll want to use for connecting to a remote server and downloading files.

Most of the stuff I have done is pretty basic, I need to start getting into the more advanced stuff, I'd like to start working on this right away, can you point me into a direction that you would think could help me?

I have been scouring the interweb for information, but to no avail...

Thanks!

Have you taken a look at what classes are in the System.Net namespace? Have you read what each is for and then read more about the one's that sound useful? That's where you start. Get an understanding of the types you need first, then look for information on putting them together if you need it.

You could use a web service to pass in version information and return update information out of the web service to the client. If a new version is available, you can also return the update URL and have it download and execute.

I am using ClickOnce on my apps now and love it, wonderful system, worth upgrading to 2005 just to use it!

I would update but most of my client workstations are .net 1.1 and upgrading them to 2.0 just for an update feature would be a ton of work...I am going to start looking at those classes in the System.Net namespace and let you know what I come up with, thanks for pointing me in the right direction....is it cool if I post code in here and what not, just to have another person look at the code and make sure I am not being dumb at times? Trust me I have had to take a step back and rethink code lots :)

supermanzdead said:
I would update but most of my client workstations are .net 1.1 and upgrading them to 2.0 just for an update feature would be a ton of work...
I don't think it would actually. The ClickOnce installer can bootstrap the Framework, so it would be installed when you install the new version. If you have update manually now then that's just the last manual update.

I can easily roll out .net 2.0 to all my client stations, but I have to go through a tough approval process and people get all upset when they have to deal with much change...got to love it though... :)

Back