assembly troubles with release

Streen

Programming Experience
3-5
I have written an application and I am almost finished. Now I want to test it on other machines, and thats where things go south.

Preferably I would like to just provide an .exe and whatever else is needed to run the application, but apparently that is not an option. The appropriate .Net needs to be installed and the target machine and thus, I need to provide a setup for the application. Now that might annoy a few users, but they will live. Still, if there is any way to prevent this, tell me please.

What is more concering is that some assemblies must be provided too. I wrote the app in Visual Studio 2008 Professional, .net 3.5 in windows 7. I tried to test it on a freshly installed windows vista. while installing my app I am told that the System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization assembly is missing in the GAC. Now ive been googling all afternoon but cant seem to find an acceptable solution to this.

I found hints that it might be possible to provide the appropriate dll with the setup, as a private assembly, however I have no idea how to do that. I have found the dll but dong know how to make the setup use it.

It would not be acceptable if users would have to install yet another extension or have to do it manually.

Can anyone please give me a hint here?

Forgive my ignorance, this is my first .Net project.

I am using that one indeed, and I have found that solution beforeas well, and tried it, followed the steps, but it does not help me.

How should I be drawing graphs if I do not want such hassle?

I am using that one indeed, and I have found that solution beforeas well, and tried it, followed the steps, but it does not help me.
Seemed simple enough, though I haven't actually performed those steps myself. Perhaps you just missed ticking that prereq in your setup package after it was configured to be added to the list of available prereqs?
How should I be drawing graphs if I do not want such hassle?

Can I maybe solve this issue by using .net 4.0?
As mentioned the Chart control was included in .Net 4, so deploying with that .Net version alone would be sufficient. There are also third party charting libraries available, both free and commercial, where a local dll would be bundled with your app in the deployment. Or depending on your needs and skills you can draw your own custom charts on any control surface using Graphics Class (System.Drawing).
Would there be any downsides to using .net 4.0?
None that I'm aware of, I think there have been only improvements for each new VS and .Net version.

Back