Argument to a service...

lidds

Programming Experience
Beginner
I need a bit of help and guidance on an app I am doing....

I have an application which sits on general users machines. What I want to be able to do is for the users to create a new directory through the application that will create a directory on a server that they do not have access to for secutiry reasons. Then the users can create a file within the new folder through the application, again which they do not have access to. The whole idea is to have an application that manages files that are able to be accessed by many users through the application / backend database, and therefore we do not want the user to be able to manipluate the folder / files by mapping to the location. Then if the user wants to work on the file he requests it through the application which then copies it locally to their machine.

The way that I can see this working is by having a service running on the server that has access to create folders and files in this location. The user can then request the creation of a folder / file through the application which then instructs the service to create the folder / file.

My questions are:
1. Is this a good way?
2. Is there anyway that I can pass arguments directly into the service on the server, or would I have to create an entry in a database on the server that the service is monitoring and then performs the request?
2a. If I do have to have the service monitoring the database if I make the service check this every second will this slow the server down and will the server guys at a company be OK with this running this quick?
3. I also need to be able to let the user know through my application that the folder / file has been created successfully, therefore what is the best way to do this? Again get the service to write to the database that the request has been completed?
3a. If this is the case then my app will have to poll the database continually to check the database that the request has been completed, this could slow the application down?

As you can see I really need some guidance on how to acheive this. Any help would be really apreshiated

Thanks

Simon

Can you more clearly define the need for users to have access to something they are not allowed access to? You may be able to achieve what you want through use of Windows Security or my using/building something like FtpDrive (map an ftp server to a windows drive letter)

Back