application window for monitors

f15e

Programming Experience
Beginner
I am using VB 2005 Express. At home I have a 19" LCD 16:9 monitor, but a work I have a regular 17" CRT monitor. So, I created an application on my LCD for me to use at work, but when I run it, the boxes on the right side of the screen are partially off-screen.

How do fix the application to where it would show up fine on any size monitor? Thanks for the help in advance!!

Each control have Anchor and Dock properties that allow dynamic resizing to different window sizes. In addition you have all the different container controls (Panel etc) that help the layout. To prevent bad sizes in some situations you can also set each controls MinimumSize and MaximumSize properties. If you display control properties in Designer by categories you will find these under "Layout".

A good tip is to design the form to fit the least resolution you want to support and use the mentioned dynamics when form is upsized. You may have noticed many software providers list minimum (or recommended minimum) resolution supported on their packages.

The only alternative to making it work dynamically is to make form fixed non-sizable, but this is in most cases only used for tool windows and dialogs.

Back