Application Architecture

fredriko

Programming Experience
10+
I want to develop a client-server series of applications whereby a series of business objects exist on a server and one or more clients (windows apps, ce apps or pocket pc apps) can integerate with the server.
I have looked into a couple of options and am struggling to make a decision as to which would be the best solution. I'm hoping to open up a debate here so I can listen to other people's views and opinions on this.

Web Services
Web services seems to be the prefered solution for many people but I don;t like the reliance on a web server (IIS). I want to be able to develop my server application and run it on any windows server or desktop without having to have IIS. I also don't particularly understand IIS and don;t like the performance overhead that I seem to get when passing business objects. It may be the best solution though??

Remoting
I like remoting as it gives me the low level control I'm after along with providing an infradtructure whereby I can send and receive "serialzied" business objects. The only problem I find is that the compact framework does not support remoting!!!

Raw TCP Client/Server
I already develop several applications using tcp comms so am edging towards this solution. This is my preferred solution but is the most complicated and time consuming.

The final issue I have is this. If I create a series of business objects on the server (which return customer objects/lists etc), I cannot then pass these objects to the compact framework applications running on pocket pc and ce.net devices can I? I think I'm going to have to duplicate the code for different devices? Is this right or am I confusing the issue?

If anybody has any thoughts, preferences or approaches that they could contribute I'd appreciate the dialog.

Cheers

Back