Anyone able to install VS2005 onto Vista?

J. Scott Elblein

Programming Experience
10+
When I try, the installer says it detected the lack of Windows XP SP2, and that needs to be installed before the VS installer can continue.

If I set the setup.exe to Windows XP SP2 in the application compatibility property sheet, it still gives the same error. I'm stuck now, can anyone give me a tip?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had zero problems with Vista and VS2005. After I installed it, then I installed the Visual Studio 2005 Vista SP/Patch just to be sure.

Sorry I can't help you though. :(

CT

I got lucky and figured it out.

Really weird, but if you try to install VS by running it's Autorun when the cd is popped in, or the Setup.exe in the same folder as the Autorun, it ends up with this error:

7fa7a8fd15.jpg

But if you run the Setup.exe one more folder in, named "Setup", it will install without the error (or any others for me).

Really strange that it wants you to install XP SP2 on Vista.

Ignore compatibility error

Hi when I installed VS2005 on vista it said this program has known compatibily issues, and they ask if i want to coninue with the installation,I did and it works fine.

Hi when I installed VS2005 on vista it said this program has known compatibily issues, and they ask if i want to coninue with the installation,I did and it works fine.

Out of curiosity, what edition of VS2005 where you installing that said it has 'compatability' issues?

I installed the VS2005 VB Express edition on Vista from the autorun just fine, no errors, no compatibility issues or anything.

Out of curiosity, what edition of VS2005 where you installing that said it has 'compatability' issues?

I installed the VS2005 VB Express edition on Vista from the autorun just fine, no errors, no compatibility issues or anything.

Vistual Studio 2005 Professional Edition gave me this message. I remember it saying you needed to download SP1 before it would work under Vista.

Is it vista x86 or x64?

Just keep the SP1 and Vista Patches ready to run after you install VS 2005.
You can get those patches from the microsoft site.

I thought i was alone on that error, talking to someone on a different forum i found out theres installed without error.

I got a prompt saying a service pack was needed, it was easy to find and sort. I still get a message whenever i open VS 2005 saying something about incompatibiliy, but it works fine every time. I probably should uncheck the show this message everytime box, but i feel we have become friends.

I have Vista and installed vb2005 student edition, didn't come with any book. I had to download about 3 updates, but afterwards it ran fine.

1. after you install vb2005, open it and go to update at Microsoft through visual basic link.
Or do automatic update on your computer, it will detect what is missing.
Get the updates.

2. install updates, yes you will find the message that they have conflicts with Vista, that has been posted there for a while now. Newer updates have been posted.

3. Another important issue with vista is to always open visual basic 2005 by right clicking on the icon and click "open as administrator". Otherwise you will have other problems, it won't run well. Always run as administrator.

Good Luck!

Have you updated your computer lately with windows update?
Do that then go to Microsoft Windows: software and services as unique as you are, use search for technical help for Visual Basic Vista. search Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)download, Deployment, and Support

There is an update for Vista there. The CD may only have the XP update on it, so go look for the Vista update.
Don't get discouraged, just learn how to find help. Windows has posted a lot of help on their web sites, learn to make use of it. Do updates then try again to install from the CD. If you can be online while it is installing some software will go to the appropriate website and automatically download the update it needs. So make sure you are connected before you install.

Last edited:
Back