After installing SP2, Visual Studio can't create or open ASP.NET projects

bckeagle

Programming Experience
Beginner
I have been using the notebook from my job to program an ASP .NET application for university. I was using Visual Studio .NET 2002 and everything worked perfectly. The problem started when support people installed Service Pack 2 in my Windows XP Professional notebook. Since then Visual Studio cannot create or open an ASP .NET project. I tried installing Visual Studio .NET 2003 but it doesn't work either. When I try to create a new ASP.NET project, for example: "NewTest" i get this error message: "The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or open the Web project located at the following URL: 'http://localhost/NewTest'. 'A connection with the server could not be established'". If anybody knows any way to solve this problem please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks!!

First, check if your webServer is running.

If it is, check the new fireWall installed with SP2, it may be blocking the webRequests. I don't know much about the configuration of the new Firewall as I uninstalled SP2 quickly after installing it due to similar problems.

Thanks! the web server was running and the firewall was turned off. But I finally found out what the problem was: Later I realized that apart from the SP2 they had installed a new version of McAfee Viruscan antivirus. After disabling its service, everything went back to normality. I don't think this is the best solution but at least now I can continue developing.

Back