Question Adobe PDF Reader causing error in Windows 7

TBossAZ

Programming Experience
5-10
Greetings everyone.

I created a very simple VB.NET windows form application that only has one control, the Adobe PDF Reader. I created this project in both VS 2005 (.NET 2.0) and VS 2010 (.NET 3.5). My developer machine is XP SP3 32 bit. I experienced the same problem with version 8 and 10 of Adobe Reader.

When I compile the application and run the EXE file on my XP machine, everything is fine. I can see the form with the Adobe PDF Reader control. When I try to run the same program on our new Windows 7 SP 1 32 bit test machine, I get a generic Windows 7 error that says "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program" and I never see the form.

Has anybody else had this experience with Adobe PDF Reader on Windows 7?

I appear to have found the solution to the problem RE AcroPDF.dll with Windows 7.

I had Visual Studio 2010 installed on our Windows 7 test machine. I added Adobe Reader to the list of controls. When I tried to add the control to a form I got an error that said:

Failed to create component 'AxHost'. The error message follows: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

When I researched this error in Adobe's forums, I found another user that basically said I needed to go to the Internet settings, under Preferences for Adobe Reader X, and make sure the box for Display PDF In Browser was checked.

After testing with my applications, this does appear to resolve the problem.

Let me know if anyone has any additional comments. Thanks for the help.

Back