Question Adding simple voice commands

djvibri

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi,

For my thesis I want to add some simple voice commands to my vb.net application.

The main thought is that a user could just say: open word and then the winword.exe will be executed etc... with other applications.

Does anybody know a good tutorial or give me a brief explanation on how to do this? I've found a lot of resources about the MS Agent, but in fact I don't want to have a character on the screen....

Regards,

Pieter

heh.. well the reason that Nuance sell Dragon naturallySpeaking 9 voice recognition software for £40, to (potentially) thousands of people, is probably because doing voice recognition isnt something that can be explained in a few sentences on an internet forum.. Google around more

.Net has TTS and SR support included, from framework version 3.0 (which you can use with VB2005) there is a System.Speech library. This uses SAPI 5.3 in Vista or SAPI 5.1 in XP. You have to add reference to this library as it is not referenced by default in new projects. Look into the System.Speech.Recognition namespace.

Back