Question Accessing data without using database (.Net 2005).

priyamtheone

Programming Experience
Beginner
Is it possible to add, edit, view and delete records using a file only (instead of a database) and .Net 2005 (VB.Net/C#)?
The concept is that a file that'll work more-or-less like a database. One can add, edit, view, delete and query data to and from the file. The file, either cannot be opened directly or data inside the file should be in some encrypted form so that even if the file is opened no one can comprehend it. Data inside the file can only be manipulated by a front end application i.e. .Net 2005.
If there's some methodology like this then please refer me some links to tutorials and whitepapers. Thanks in advance.

The easiest built-in support for structured data storage apart from databases is Xml, there is query functionality and support for encryption of Xml with the EncryptedXml class.

Thanks JohnH. I have been looking for something like this. Most peers suggested this approach. Also I would like to gain more knowledge on encryption and decryption of the xml files before and after saving the data. Can you please refer me some tutorials on it. Thanks once again for your suggestion.

Last edited:
Back