Accessing a application on IIS from a different computer on same network

saujanya_26

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello,

I have a web application running on my systems IIS. My computer and my boss computer is on the same network. I was wondering if there is a way he can access my localhost from his system .

Thank You

Hello ManicCW,

I tried that aswell. Instead of computer name I gave the IP address of my computer(i.e)http://myIPaddress/applicationname. It is working on my computer, but when i try the same url from another computer it doesnt. I set the authorization for the application to all users, but no luck. I think the problem is not with settings of the application, as I put a simple html file in my root folder and tried it, same problem it works in my system, but not from other system on the network. I am supposing its with the settings of IIS, but unable to figure out what it is.

Thanx for the help

from the "Internet Information Service (IIS) Manager" create a new web site and set directory path to wanted application. Then set up the IP address and mark the port (under Web site identification select the given IP address). Now you can access this domain from all over the web not only intranet if you have non-dialup internet ... calling something like this:
http://217.100.120.85:21 (notice that port must be included too)

Regards ;)

hello Kulrom,

Thank you very much for the reply. Iam working on IIS 5.1 and it does not allow me to create a new website and allot a IP address. It is only allowing me to create new virtual folder. I am having XP professional on my system.

Thank you very much once again

saujanya mudireddy

well from the last reply i couldnt figure out whether you have resolved the problem your problem. If so then i am glad but if not please let me know :)
Btw, it's very true if you have say WinXP ... it allows you to host only one site unlike Windows Server OS's 2k & 2k3 which allows hosting of multiply web sites at ones. However if you make a new virtual folder for the new app and grab the IP address as well as port number (IIS -> right click the site and select properties) you'll be able to access the content from the local network. Regards ;)

Hello Kulrom,

Well, its still not resolved. From what u said, I made a virtual folder and could get its IP address and port number. Now I tried with http://IPaddress/applicaitonname . Its working on my computer but not on another computer on network. How should i be using the port number retreived, in accessing the application on network. I am sorry if its a very simple question.

Thank you,

hi
go to start - settings - control panel - administrative tools & click internet information .......
right click on default web site & on web site tag click advance button .
you can remove your default or Unassigned address & add a private address & port ! please check your iis cuz i think if someone wants stealing your files & info its better u'll check your web server patch.
also check your permision files too :)

Back